These were probably our busiest days and the hotest. Waking up early in the morning to almost 80 degrees, plus humidity, and touring the city until we couldn’t stand anymore.
Wednesday, May 29th
Devoted to knocking off the museum tour, plus a handful of little stops along through central park.
- Long walk from 45th to 57th (to the Central Park entrance) to 83rd or so where the MET is located
- Passed by Carnegie Hall and the Carnegie Deli
- Boat pond in Central Park where they race sail boats
- The MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) and cocktails on their rooftop garden
- Belvedere Castle in Central Park
- American Museum of Natural History (aka dinosaurs)
- Strawberry Fields and the tribute to John Lennon (plus a park wedding)
- Bond 45 for cocktails and apps (with a very cute waiter)
- Once: a Musical – on Broadway – FANTASTIC!
All sorts of goodies and favorite stops this time. A lot of walking and touring, pretty quiet and relaxed day.
- Empire State Building rooftop tour first thing in the morning
- Quick shopping stops including the American Girls store for the soon to be birthday girl
- Serendipity for frozen hot chocolate and lunch
- Dylan’s Candy Bar – three stories of candy and goodies
- MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) – and my favorite
- Sardi’s for dinner – famous and fun
Might have been one of my favorite days, even though every day was my favorite day. We ventured into the Subway which had us questioning why we didn’t just do that from the very beginning to save time – but we liked the walking so there wasn’t too much to complain about.
- Today Show (again) for the trifecta – New Kids on the Block, Boys II Men, and 98 Degress
- Subway to Brooklyn then a leisurely stroll back across the bridge into Battery Park
- visit to Kate’s Paperie – my favorite card and gift shop
- Back to Central Park to view my favorite fountain – Bethesda Fountain
- Rode the carousel
- Drinks at the boathouse – very hot outside
- To the castle and Shakespeare Garden
- No cocktails at Tavern on the Green – closed for remodeling
- Hotel to pack
- YANKEES vs Red Sox – Yankees win!
Saturday we probably walked away with the most goodies for the least amount of effort. After changing our flight home to grant us a couple extra hours, we got up in the wee hours to attend BookExpo America and spent hours amongst all the other crazy power readers in the neighboring cities. I’m pretty sure we came the farthest to attend.
We probably spent most of our time standing in line to get signed copies of brand new books, soon to be released books, books we’d never heard of from authors we’d never heard of, and met all variety of readers.
Highlights would include:
- Signed copies Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire
- Two signings with Sylvia Day – including her not yet released book 3 of the Crossfire series, Entwined With You
- A couple hours with 12 authors from Harlequin – including Linda Lael Miller
- The option to stand in line for even longer to get a signed copy of Jim Carrey’s new children book – we passed but at last we were in the same room with him
- Shipping home 60 lbs of FREE books!
- Sunday, May 26th – walked 4.44 miles (10,156 steps)
- Monday, May 27th – walked 8.92 miles (20,428 steps)
- Tuesday, May 28th – walked 6.99 miles (16,010 steps)
- Wednesday, May 29th – walked 11.42 miles (26,149 steps)
- Thursday, May 30th – walked 10.16 miles (23,262 steps)
- Friday, May 31st – walked 12.47 miles (27,585 steps)
- Saturday, June 1st – walked 3.09 miles (7,064 steps)
Are you tired yet because I think I’m still recovering.